Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sweet Sigh of Relief

Well I was able to zip up the suitcase. Thank God. It is very tight, and there are some things that almost didn't make it home. As of now it is two towels I brought from home, but they were destined to be left behind from the beginning. I also used clothing for packing cushions (I have no choice but to be resourceful). I also packed my bag in such a way that I won't have to open my checked bag in Athens. The last thing I want to do is pack that bag again.

It is hard to let go after being here for a month, but packing everything up is putting things into perspective. I am excited to come home. It is great to be around family and friends. In all honesty I am most excited to work. Being abroad just gives me wanderlust, but I must have money to do so. Also, I need to save up for Israel. So much to do this summer. I took a round of pictures, but I won't be posting them until we are in Athens (sorry for the teaser, but just so you know).

As much as I love Greece I do miss home. Growing up in the plains I just love flat land. Mountains are beautiful, don't get me wrong. There is just something about being around the terrain of your home, it gives you a different kind of energy. There is very little flat land here, so there were a few times where I was just longing for a straight, flat road rather than a winding mountain path. Santorini has been my home for a month and it is crazy, because we are having to tell people that they won't be seeing us walk along the boardwalk anymore. We have gotten to know some of the locals very well, and it is sad to say goodbye to them.

Will I come back to Greece? Most definitely. When? That is to be determined. Will I come to Santorini again? Yes. But I will also want to spend time on the mainland. It would be fun to just live in Athens for a month. It would be a completely different vibe than the island life on Santorini. For now I will revel in the last few hours on Santorini. 

No comments:

Post a Comment